Thursday 22 March 2012

Found! Vintage CUC 4620

Well, I always said I'd never find another Grundig CUC 4635 chassis TV in Australia after I managed to burn the CUC 4635 I had. That particular chassis remains the best SCART replacement arcade chassis I've tried to date. It was just fantastic!

Amazingly, I found a Blaupunkt with a Grundig CUC 4620 chassis (very similar to CUC 4635) the other night on the side of the road, not far from where I live. My girlfriend spotted it while riding her bike to work. As it stands, the TV doesn't work properly. It power on, the screen lights up but the image is just black. No snow when I flick through the channels. Haven't tried it with RGB yet but I don't hold much hope. When I first plugged it in, I could see retrace lines across the screen. I turned the flyback down these went away. The flyback also hisses a bit. Not a good sign.

So, I have no idea if I'll ever be able to repair this. However, this time, I won't be so hasty to trash a non-working, vintage chassis. Hopefully I'll find another similar board (or receive that shipment from Germany) and this one can be used for spare parts.

At the very least, I have a little more hope of finding more of this chassis type in my part of the world. I really didn't think I'd see another one like that fabled CUC 4635! There's gotta be a couple more lurking in sheds in garages around the place...

Blaupunkt IS 70-39 VT (chassis FM 500.40)
Life on the street
The mean machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment